August 24, 2010

Sirloin Soup

As the summer months are coming to a close it is time to gear up for fall. Nothing makes me think of fall like football games, cooler weather, and SOUP!! This recipe is from my sweet friend Sarah Grace, her mom made this soup when I went to visit her this past winter and it is by far the best soup I have ever had. It is very filling so don't worry about those men who need to have full tummies. It's a one dish wonder and if you are partial to rosemary then you will LOVE this recipe! It's great for a party and this recipe will feed between 6-8 people. I cooked this for my family the other night and Sarah photographed the process, enjoy ;)






Sarah was sweet to slice the onion for me while I roasted the garlic


1 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 Tbsps olive oil
½ cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
3 Tbsps fresh rosemary or 1 Tbsp dried rosemary
1 red onion, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
2 ribs of celery, sliced 1/8 inch thick
6 fresh basil leaves, cut into very thin strips.
1 head of garlic, roasted and peeled
2 lbs of sirloin steak, cubed


Heat the butter and olive oil over low heat. Add onions and cooks and stir 15 minutes
or until light brown. Add the celery and cook and stir 10 minutes longer.

Add garlic and steak and cook and stir until the beef is brown on all side, 8 to 10
minutes.

6 plum tomatoes, quartered
4 cups beef broth
4 cups beef stock
3 bay leaves
1 tsp black pepper

Add the above and simmer 1 ½ to 1 ¾ hours, uncovered, until the beef is fork tender.

Add sun-dried tomotoes and rosemary and simmer about 10 minutes longer. Discard
the bay leaves.

Add the fresh basil right before serving.

NOTES

I cook 2 cups of Basmati white rice and add right before serving. If rice has been made
ahead and is cold, then warm soup after adding and, again, add basil at the last minute.

The recipe calls for 2 lbs of sirloin cut in 1 ‘’ cubes. I just buy the steaks because I like
the cubes smaller than the butcher cuts them.

The recipe calls for sun-dried tomotoes and you don’t chop them, but it is big pieces of
tomato in your spoon if you don’t.

No comments: